You want to freeze cauliflower? We will give you detailed instructions on how to freeze the vegetables without loss of taste and nutrients.
Preliminary work is important for maintaining quality
Two basic steps:
- First you shred the cauliflower into the single florets. These should not be too small, because otherwise you only have crumbs after thawing and cooking, but they should not be too big. The best size is when the cauliflower is cut into bite-sized pieces before freezing.
- Then wash the cauliflower thoroughly. It is now important to blanch the cabbage briefly before freezing the cauliflower to preserve its nutrients and beautiful colour.
Cauliflower freezing step by step
- For blanching, put on a saucepan with plenty of water and a dash of lemon juice. The lemon juice ensures that the cauliflower remains beautifully white. You also fill a bowl with cold water and ice cubes.
- If the water boils in the pot, add the cauliflower florets in portions to the water and cook them for a maximum of three to four minutes. Please stop cooking, otherwise the cauliflower will become too soft!
- After cooking, take the cauliflower with a skimmer, from which the cooking water can drain off, out of the cooking water and immediately pour it into the ice water. This interrupts the cooking process and keeps the cauliflower nice and crisp.
- Now take the cauliflower out of the ice water and dry it with a clean kitchen towel or cellulose wipes.
- You can then freeze the cauliflower by filling it into appropriate freezer bags or containers in portions and putting it into the freezer compartment immediately.
Important: If you want to use the frozen cauliflower for cooking, add the florets in the frozen state to the cooking water and dont let them thaw before you do so.