The courgettes belong to the pumpkins and when storing the vegetables, basically the same rules apply. When storing the zucchini you can store them for a longer period of time without any problems.
How to store zucchini over a longer period of time
As soon as the courgettes are fully grown, they have a relatively thick skin and can then be stored for several months without any problems.
- However, you should not store the vegetables either too cold or too warm, so the refrigerator is not the best place to store the courgettes for a longer period of time.
- Before storing the vegetables, check the courgettes for damage and sort them out accordingly.
- Basements or pantry rooms that are dark and have a temperature between 12 and 15 degrees Celsius are ideal.
- Store the pumpkin fruits in a dry and airy place.
- If it is a young plant that you want to prepare soon, you can store the vegetables in your refrigerator’s vegetable compartment for a few days. However, the temperature should not be below zero degrees Celsius.
Apart from the “normal” storage, you have various other options to make the vegetables long-lasting.
- For example, courgettes are perfect for preserving. The least work is done by placing in oil. After cutting the courgettes into pieces, place them in a saucepan and sprinkle a little salt over them. After about 24 hours, pour the spilled juice away and place the vegetable pieces briefly on a kitchen towel. Once the courgettes have dried, pour them into a preserving jar and cover the courgettes with oil. Olive oil as well as rapeseed oil is suitable for this purpose. Season the vegetables according to taste.
- Another possibility, which can also be realised quite quickly, is the drying of the courgettes. This enables you to produce a delicious and, above all, low-calorie version of potato chips. Just cut the zucchini into slices and season them according to taste. In the oven, you should select a small temperature of about 80 to 100 degrees Celsius and leave the door open a little so that moisture can escape. Alternatively, place the slices of zucchini in the automatic kiln or let the slices of zucchini dry in the sun.
The cucumber can be planted in the garden is not unusual, but you can also grow the courgettes yourself without any problems.